Gastroenterology is a subspecialty of internal medicine.
It relates to the study of the function and diseases of the gastrointestinal tract and the digestive system.
According to the American College of Gastroenterology, gastroenterology involves a detailed understanding of:
- The gastrointestinal organs
- The movement of material through the stomach and intestines
- The digestion and absorption of nutrients
- The removal of waste from
- The body the liver
- Abdominal pain and cramps
- Excess gas
- Change in bowel habits such as harder, looser, or more urgent stools than normal
- Alternating constipation and diarrhea